Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Last Trip of The Summer - California

Last summer we went to California to visit my family there. My mom and my grandma and my aunt all live there in the Bay Area, along with a few friends who mean the world to me. I decided to repeat that this trip this summer and will probably do it again next summer as well.

We left on a Wednesday and made it down to Grants Pass and stayed the night with my dad and step mom, then finished up the next day.  I am glad we went because it turns out my mom had been in a minor car accident that left her with some vertigo and she needed my help.

In between helping out my mom, we did get in a few activities. Beach trips and park trips and visiting my grandma and swimming and so much else. I love seeing my family.


 In Grants Pass, after I let them out of the car, the kids ran wild around the house. Who can blame them after 5 hours in a car?


 Shasta Lake was really low. The drought in CA is very real and a bit on the scary side.

 One of the first things we did upon reaching California was take my mom to the chiropractor and then stop for some cupcakes while she was getting fixed.



 Mama's neighbor has chickens, we went over to get a few eggs and show the kiddos what chickens are like. They were very interested in them and very gentle with them.



 You can't be in Santa Cruz without seeing the little local aquarium, it is small but fun. The Marine Discovery Center was just the right size for these two.




 We spent a morning at my favorite beach in all the world, Bean Hollow's Pebble Beach. The kids and I had fun with the rocks and the waves and the little caves.

 Liam enjoyed climbing the tree in Great Grandma's backyard. Visiting her was hard. I wanted to take a picture of her, but I don't want to remember her stuck in a bed unable to walk. I chose not to photograph her that way. I don't think I will regret it.



 We spent a morning with my Michelle. This girl is one of the most loyal people in all the world and has been my friend for a long time. She loves my two little ones and has a lot of fun with them. She showed them the tide pools and one of her favorite beaches. I miss her.


 On my last day there I stopped by the reservoir at the bottom  of Hwy 17, the water level is the lowest I have ever seen it. It felt more than a little heartbreaking, but also made me glad to be heading home to my beloved rivers in Portland.

Our last stop was seeing some friends in Dublin, CA. We met them by chance in the park and it turned out that the girl went to the same school Liam was going to be starting at, but then they had to move. A few hours with them was a great morning and a good way to end the summer trip.

And of course I had to stop at a yarn store in Santa Cruz and pick up a little something for me.....

Yummy! I have plans for these!

No comments:

Post a Comment